Thursday, 5 January 2017

Goodbye 2016, Hello 2017

Hello!

It's been a while since I last posted something on this blog... Apologies for that. I would write all the excuses I have but the truth is quite simple - I just wanted to take some time off and focus on my life. All will become clear in this post, I hope.

So, another year over. How crazy is that? I have been reading other blogs and watched videos on youtube and such where people look back on their year and summarize it. Some say 2016 was amazing, beautiful etc. and others call it the worst year or the hardest year of their life. I can relate more with the latter even though I've achieved numerous amazing things. I think the reason for me saying that 2016 was a hard year of me is due to the stress and anxiety I had to go through in order to achieve those amazing "goals". Now looking back I actually never really got to enjoy those achievements because once I got there, something else was already knocking on my door. On New Year's Eve I had my high school friend over and only after we started talking about the past year did we realise all the things we did and achieved in 2016. 

Firstly, on a personal level, me and my boyfriend had our second year anniversary in the beginning of 2016. It was - and still is - the longest relationship I've ever had and I couldn't be more happier about it. We've been through so much together, all the ups and downs like in any relationship. What makes our relationship so special to me, is that both of us are willing to work for what we have. I feel very lucky and loved to have him by my side.


©SamiSihvo


I hit quite a big milestone in 2016: I graduated from high school. To do so, one has to do the matriculation examinations. What a stressful thing it was! Months and months of studying and preparing and all over in 6 short hours... I did okay, well better than okay actually. There were some disappointments but in the end I'm quite pleased with my results. The graduation day wasn't easy either. I had a migraine since the morning and couldn't even enjoy my "big day". Still, wow... I graduated in 2016! 




All of June I was working in a museum. I wanted to briefly mention this even though to most people a summer job hardly counts as a milestone or a goal. But this was my first actual summer job and I rather enjoyed it. 

After June came the big moment - the results for university entrance exam! Spoiler alert: I got in! This meant that in August/September of 2016 I started studying in university, my major is German. That was such an exciting thing but scary at the same time. I was wondering if I rushed it all. I though that maybe I was in the need of a break, gap year,  but it was too late to back down. It hasn't been an easy semester though. I had a personal crisis right at the beginning of the semester. You see, I went to study German with the mindset that I wanted to be a translator. After two weeks I started to doubt my choice. It isn't clear yet what my study path will be (maybe I'll become a translator after call) but I found a second option (or first, depends on how I look at it), language expert, which also interests me. So after I figured that out, I found my motivation only to lose it again when I got stressed, anxious and had way to much to do and too little time to do that. Needles to say, I've been through quite something this semester. At the same time I'm studying so hard and trying to enjoy my time there and take it easy as well. One thing is for sure, I have work to do in 2017. Not just studying but also finding a balance between university, hobbies, family and friends and me-time. 

What came with entering university was also my move. In August 2016 I moved in with my boyfriend. It was my first ever move and the first time I moved away from my parents' house. We were quite lucky to get the place we live in (I found it, but no bragging...). It fits us both and we are very happy here. The move was quite a challenge even though we did get the place in a good order within a week or so. However, as I'm writing this, our flat looks like we're about to move away but no worries! We're just refurnishing this place a bit and getting rid of unnecessary things.




Also worth mentioning is that I stayed in contact with my high school friend (the same one I mentioned at the beginning of this post). I've learned that I'm not the best at making long lasting friends but when I do, I want to keep them. She and I are studying in different places but we see each other every now and again and keep in contact via texts. I could probably be a better texter though, I'm more of those "face-to-face" kind of talkers.

Those are pretty much the most important milestones or goals or whatever you want to call them of 2016. I'm feeling quite positive about the years to come. I feel a bit more confident and sure about my life and the direction it's going at the moment. I really want 2017 to be a good year. More importantly I really want to listen to myself and do what I want. I definitely could use some relaxation time and me-time every now and again. I want to concentrate on me, my mental and physical health and just do a little better this year. Also, I kind of want to see the world and make an epic trip somewhere!

Here's to 2017!
  -Silvia 

No comments:

Post a Comment